Tonight we have a quick look of two members of the National Collection. First (above) is North Eastern Railway 1001 class 1275 – a “long boiler” locomotive.This locomotive has it’s origins in an 1852 design, although this example was built in 1874 and was much modified since. The locomotive was designed by Bouch with a small fire grate which meant the relatively long boiler took some time to reach full pressure. This could be seen as a flaw, until you consider that it was built for the slow-workings of the Stockton and Darlington Railway, that involved lots of waiting around for signals or loading, so it did not present an issue. On the contrary, it made the machine economical to run. The boiler of this locomotive was upgraded twice in a career that ended in 1923 when it was the last of it’s type still in service and the only one to become an LNER engine.
Our second locomotive was built in 1899 at Sharp, Stewart & Co. Limited Atlas Works in Glasgow. Great Northern Railway (GNR) J13 class number 1247 can be seen above resplendent in it’s lined GNR colours. The class were a successful shunting design of HA Ivatt, with 85 being built. Reclassified by the LNER as J52, withdrawals started in 1936, although due to the Second World War this halted and many survived into British Railways ownership. They were a common sight in North London until 1950 when Diesel Shunters started taking over, with the last withdrawn in 1961. 1247 is the only survivor of this class, which has been immortalised by Hornby’s ready to run model – a review of which can be found here.
To read about other exhibits to be found in the National Railway Museum during this visit in 2013, please click here.